- This event has passed.
International Summer Sessions in Metabolomics 2019
August 19, 2019 - August 30, 2019
Please, contact us now if you need letters of support to obtain funding from your home institutions.
The West Coast Metabolomics Center organizes an instructional course for researchers for researcher which need a deeper and broader understanding in the field of Metabolomics. This course will span 12 days from August 19-30, 2019.
In order to serve the group interests best and have interesting open discussions we have a small class of 22 participants. The participants come always from all over the world and have a very diverse research background.
The course will include:
- study design, including pitfall analysis and hidden biases in studies from microbial, plant, mouse and human cohort research
- sample preparation and quality control
- in-laboratory detailed discussions standard operating procedures for GC-MS and LC-MS data acquisitions
- targeted metabolomics, including monitoring charts and use of isotope labeled internal standards
- exercises on flux analysis in cancer cells by isotope tracer analysis
- untargeted data processing and exercises on MS-DIAL software (in comparison to XCMS)
- exercises on identification of unknowns by cheminformatics software workflows (incl MS-FINDER, CFM-ID, and various databases and small software routines)
- data normalization and transformation with and without internal standards and quality controls
- multivariate and univariate statistics (incl MetDA in comparison to MetaboAnalyst)
- pathway mapping (incl MetaBox consisting of MetDA, ChemRICH and MetaMapp in comparison to MetaboAnalyst)
Past course participation:
- 2018 course: 25 researchers from USA, Brazil, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Russia, Norway, Germany, Poland, Canada
- 2017 course: 24 researchers from USA, Saudi-Arabia, China, , Korea, Italy, Denmark, Iran, United Kingdom
- 2016 course: 23 researchers from USA, Saudi-Arabia, China, Thailand, Japan, Italy, Brazil, Chile, Korea, and Canada.
- 2015 course: 21 researchers from USA, China, Germany, Brazil, Switzerland, Denmark, Canada, Korea, Malaysia, and Netherlands.
- 2014 course: 20 researchers from USA, New Zealand, Italy, Denmark, China, Canada, Turkey and Switzerland
- 2013 course: 20 researchers from USA, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Denmark, Luxembourg, Brazil, Columbia, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
Participation in this course is mandatory for visiting international researchers who want to engage in collaborative research projects.
The minimum time span for such collaborative visits is 3 months, preferred is 12 months.
An additional payment of $500 for the visa has to be paid prior to arrival at UC Davis.
Each year, up to five international researchers have started such research visits, funded by agencies in their home countries.
Please contact us at least 6 months in advance to help you with letters of support, booking your course, and obtaining a visa for you.
Requests for refunds will be honored when received 2 month prior to the program. Refund requests can be only accepted in a written form. However, another person may be substituted at any time for this program, unless it requires issuing a new travel visa for international scholars.
A $150 administrative fee and the credit card fee will be deducted for cancellations.
In the unlikely event that this program is cancelled or postponed due to insufficient enrollments or unforeseen circumstances, the WCMC will fully refund registration fees but cannot be held responsible for any other expenses, including cancellation or change charges assessed by airlines, hotels, travel agencies, or other organizations.