- This event has passed.
Bits & Bites #01: Fundamentals of Lipidomics
This 9-part short course series will feature in-depth topics in untargeted metabolomics such as a deeper look into MS-DIAL, mass spectrometry for metabolomics, lipidomics, GNPS, MetaboAnalyst, and so many others. Each short course can be taken individually or you can select multiple Bites. Participants will gain a deeper insight into current software, methods, and pitfalls. Each session starts promptly at 9 a.m. (Pacific Time) and will take approx. 4 hours. The courses will be conducted in a highly interactive manner, with the use of freely available software and databases. The tuition is $175 USD per Bite, except for #5. The tuition for #5 is $350 USD as it will take approx. 8 hours.
This 1st course (for 2023) is taught by Dr. Tong Shen from UC Davis, and no prior knowledge or software is required. In this short course, topics related to lipids and systems-level scale analysis of lipids (lipidomics) will be covered:
- introduction to lipids, classification, and functions;
- mass spectrometry-based lipidomics, separation techniques, and perspectives on other novel technologies;
- case studies of lipidomics applications;
- entire experimental pipeline—study design, sample extraction, analysis, data processing, identification, statistical methods, and visualization/interpretation resources;
- quality control and standardization.
Participants will gain a high-level overview of lipidomics in order to determine suitable strategies for their own research.